Coronavirus (COVID-19) Notice

We are experiencing a high volume of customer phone calls and emails. You may experience an extended wait.
Coronavirus coverages vary by plan purchased. Please read our Coronavirus FAQ page for more information.

Request Your Claim Forms

Filing a claim on your Vacation Rental Insurance or Vacation Rental Damage Protection plan is a relatively easy process. Please follow these steps to expedite your claim:

1. Request a Travel Insurance Claim Form

Determine which type of claim form you need. Then download it using the links in the list below. Print and complete the form. Please include any required documentation to support your claim.

Trip Cancellation Trip Interruption Travel Delay Baggage Medical Rental Car Damage Vacation Rental Damage

Please Note: You will need Adobe Reader to open the PDF files. Download a free copy from the Adobe Web site. If you are experiencing problems viewing the PDF, please upgrade to Acrobat Reader 9 or higher.

Questions? Call CSA's Claims Department toll-free at (800) 541-3522.

2. Provide the Required Documentation

After you complete your travel insurance claim form, visit our Required Documentation page for a complete list of the supporting documentation needed to complete the claim process.

Note: If your trip is cancelled due to a sickness or injury, please make sure the required party signs a patient authorization as medical records may be required to finalize the claim. Download the Patient Authorization form Acrobot Logo

For all Travel Accident claims, please call CSA at (800) 541-3522.

3. Submit Your Form(s) and Documentation to CSA

Mail your completed form(s) and required documentation to CSA at the address below. For your convenience, you can also call, fax, email or write CSA to request a CSA Travel Protection Plan claim form.

(800) 541-3522
Toll-free nationwide: (877) 300-8670
In San Diego: (858) 810-2505
CSA Travel Protection
P.O. Box 939057
San Diego, CA 92193-9057